• Question: Are there any GCSE's you would recommend to take to become a child and adolescent psychiatry?

    Asked by 772menb25 to Psychiatry Ward Team, Neel - Psychiatrist, Ed - Mental Health Nurse on 24 Jan 2019.
    • Photo: Sheffield Psychiatry Ward Team

      Sheffield Psychiatry Ward Team answered on 24 Jan 2019:

      Emma here 🙂

      You would generally need the same ones to apply to medicine – choosing child and adolescent mental health (CAMHS) specifically comes later down the line once you have qualified.

      It looks a bit like this:

      Medical school (5-6 years)
      Foundation training where you rotate lots of jobs and work as a doctor (2 years)
      Specialty training where you choose psychiatry specifically but work in lots of environments, like on a ward, in CAMHS, in the community etc (3 years)
      Higher Specialty training where you would choose to do more child and adolescent rotations if you wanted (3 years)

    • Photo: Neel Halder

      Neel Halder answered on 25 Jan 2019:

      When I applied for medical school they were more interested in A levels than GCSEs. I think the sciences tend to be the focus, which is a bit of a shame as I think people who do the arts can become great doctors too. The sciences I did for GCSEs were biology, chemistry and physics.. Fro A levels I did Biology, chemistry and maths. Doing child and adolescent psych or CAMHS as it is called is really rewarding and more people are needed in this field